For this project it was split into two parts, one being the creative drawing side which I found very challenging because my not confident with drawing. I ended up really enjoying it because i learnt some new techniques of drawing which suit my style much more. I have just attached a few of my favourite drawings, including few life drawing images.
I have also kept a blog of my progression through the weeks http://alicefashionaub.tumblr.com
For the second part (Digital Application) i created a publication/magazine which was based around the idea of body image and body shaming. I spoke about can you be healthy at any size, and why are we so quick to judge the size 0 and plus sized models. I looked at Tess Holliday and the controversy around her. I made my writing unbiased so that the reader could make up their own decision.
This project was our introduction to using Lectra Software and the first time i have also used indesign. I really enjoy this, and this is the pathway which i would like to take. I chose to ‘design’ for a company called Babyghost, i had to tailor my prints around their style. I also made a jersey t-shirt using the Modaris software and a booklet showing how i did all of this.
Out of all the projects i am mostly proud of this one, everything came out looking really professional and i learnt so many new skills.
For my creative realisation unit i chose to base mine off of the idea of the 1950’s, mostly looking at Teddy boys and the idea of Androgyny . I looked into mens tailoring and how i could change this to also fit the female body. These are a few pages from my sketchbook and my final 6 capsule collection.
My first project of University, Creative Practice or The White Shirt Project. I chose to based mine around the decaying of flowers, i watched different flowers decay over the space of a few weeks in different conditions and found shapes to create a garment.
I liked the idea of distressing the fabric to show the decaying of the flowers, I then developed my initial shapes and drawings to come up with the final shape. I changed the cuffs, collar and the button wrap to suit my needs.
For my Final Major Project I chose base my work around the idea of ‘Protest Art’. I narrowed this down to looking into rape culture as this seemed to be something that was trending on social media. I looked mostly looked into the idea of how woman are not ‘Asking for it’ by the type of clothing they wear, and how people use this as a scape goat.
For my final garment made a piece that could either be seen as restricting or restraining the body depending on the on lookers views. The garment was dyed very light greys and flesh colours, i also distressed the fabric and added latex so that the fabric could be scrunched up and manipulated easily.
I chose to take a car seat covers to deconstruct to make into a garment, i wanted to use the shapes of the panels to fit onto the body instead of making new shapes. I found this much more inspirational because i really had to think about where each part went and how it would fit to the body. I used the different layers of the car seat as a feature instead of cutting it away, and i also used parts of the piping in the seat to finish of raw edges.
Firstly we worked together to make an old pair of net curtains into a garment without sewing or cutting anything, we decided instead to use wire to create shape. Once we had created this shape we were then allowed to sew and cut into the fabric (very minimal amounts).